Saturday, January 28, 2006

Ben's First "Original" Prayer

I say "original" because none of the words or phrases were his own, but it was the first time that he put them together in a way that we hadn't modeled for him before. It was very sweet.

So, I'm putting Ben to bed tonight and we are getting ready to pray. I've asked him recently if he'd like to pray, but he's always said no. So tonight I hadn't asked, but as we were closing our eyes, he said, "Can I pray tonight?"

"Sure," I said, expecting to hear the mealtime pray of "Dear God, Thank you for the food and help our family. Amen."

"Dear God," Ben started. "Thank you for today and please help our family. In Jesus' name, amen."

I just about cried when I thanked him for the nice prayer. I had to kiss him on the cheek first to get my voice under control enough to tell him good night. What a sweet and amazing thing to experience. Thank you to all of our family who gave us the legacy of faith that makes it a reality for Ben to grow up knowing the creator of the universe.

No comments: