Sunday, November 06, 2005

Leaving an Impression

Yesterday we had our monthly men's breakfast at the church and the speaker talked to us about leaving a legacy. That's something that I've been thinking about a lot this week in regards to Benjamin and Kyle. What am I teaching them? What will they remember about their childhood or their father?

I have lots of good memories of my dad, but I know that he wasn't perfect. There are things in my life that I can attribute almost directly to my dad. I'm not blaming or giving credit. I just really recognize what an influence my dad had on my life, both good and bad. I have a pretty strong desire to volunteer and help when I see a need and I know I got that from my dad's example. He was always helping out at our church or other places that needed extra help. My dad also didn't know how to say no very well when people asked him to help; I got that too.

I'm getting better at that and so is my dad, but you can see the kind of things I've been thinking about.

What does Ben think when I leave for yet another meeting at the church after dinner is over? Am I setting a good example or bad?

Do I say "Please" as often as I expect him to?

And of course I'd like him to learn to close his eyes when we pray. But it's not like I can look up to see if Ben's got his eyes open to gently remind him to close them. If he doesn't, he's just seen me looking and not practicing what I preach.

These are fairly minor things right now, but they will get much more important soon. It's an awesome responsibility being a father and I'm proud of the way my dad raised me, regardless of his failures; I can only hope Ben and Kyle will feel the same way.

No comments: