Thursday, June 01, 2006

Single Minded

Kyle has really started moving quickly lately and it makes for new challenges in corralling him. He's also turned out to be very single-minded at times. None of this out of sight, out of mind business for him.

The other day, while we were getting ready, Kyle was playing on the floor in our room. The bathroom that adjoins our room has a couple boxes of toiletry items that are not safe for Kyle to play with. Of course what is he drawn to...

So I pulled him away from the box, faced him the other direction and placed two or three favorite toys in front of him. Problem solved, right? Nope. He immediately turns around and makes a beeline to the bathroom. This time, I close the door and he's sad for a few seconds until I get him back in place in front of his toys again.

Everything was hunky-dory for a few minutes until I had to go back in the bathroom for something. The minute the door opened (and I tried to do it discreetly) Kyle was turning to make another run for the bathroom. He wanted that box and was doing everything he could to get to it. Including pushing the door when I didn't latch it after I came back out. It's fun to see him have that much focus, and a good reminder that we're getting to that stage where a lot of extra vigilance will be required.

No comments: