Saturday, October 15, 2005

Grandpa, you need to get into Grandma's Van and go home.

Ben is not a big fan of sleeping and so nap time has been reduced to quiet time. Which translates to quiet time for Mom and play time for Ben in his room most of the time.

Sometimes when my parents are over they like to lay down with him and try to get him to fall asleep at nap time or help him fall asleep faster at bed time.

Ben understands that what this really means is they are going to keep him in bed for naptime or bedtime and he can't play until they leave the room. So this all leads up to the other night when my parents watched Ben and Kyle while Mindy and I went out for dinner.

We got home right around bed time and Mindy went in to nurse Kyle while my parents finished Ben's bedtime story and prayer. Soon my mom came out and told us that my dad was laying down with him for a while. We heard some talking come from Ben's room every once in a while and eventually my dad came out a little red-faced from trying not to laugh.

"I just got told where to go," he said. Apparently after they had been laying there for a couple of minutes, Ben told him "you need to get into grandma's van and go home and sleep in your bed." So much for bed-time cuddling with grandpa.

My dad said he was reminded of the time when he was little and asked his grandma who'd just walked in the door for a visit if she was going to "stay a whole bunch of days." Apparently he was hoping not, because when grandma was there, he wasn't allowed to swim in the wading pool in the back yard and he was hoping she'd leave sooner rather than later.

I guess it's true that what goes around comes around.

No comments: